Our Safety Performance
We are striving to sustain the significant progress that we’ve made over recent years by continuing to improve our performance on safety. Our provisional statistics for 2009 show:
- A further reduction of about 23% in the frequency of injuries resulting in employees taking time off work (LTIFR).
- A reduction of 27% in the incidence rate for incidents that are reportable to the safety authorities (RIDDOR).
- A reduction of around 30% in the number of service strikes.
- A total of around 1,500 near misses reported during the year – sustaining the heightened reporting rate achieved in 2008.
- A significant reduction in the number of road traffic incidents involving our employees – as evidenced by a 43% decrease in speeding fines over 12 months and a 36% fall in the bill for vehicle damage repairs and replacement hire costs.
These last reductions are being driven by our new Vigiroute initiative to reduce the risk our people experience when driving to, from and for work.
Ringway scoops an eighth RoSPA Gold Award
Leading highway maintenance provider Ringway, have has been awarded their eighth RoSPA Gold Award for Occupational Health and Safety, following four successive Gold Medal Awards.